Windows 8.1 Update 1 (100th Post!)

Contents:

- First Impression

- Changes
- Wrapping Up



FIRST IMPRESSION

I didn't expect much when I heard that Microsoft was planning to release an update for Windows 8.1 back in late February. When I heard the news, I was very excited to try the new update out, of course. I didn't expect much other than a few bug fixes, user interface tweaks, and a bunch of new (and removed) features being added in the update.

The whole update process (download and installation) took very long. VERY FUCKING LONG.

The download took around 1 hour and 30 minutes, or something like that. The installation progress was even longer and consumed a lot of my time (not to mention my hard drive space.) Overall, I didn't quite like the update progress since it heated my laptop and consumed almost 10GB of space (I'm saving my hard disk space, so 10GB means a lot to me.) Oh, by the way, Windows Update didn't work. I had to download all the updates MANUALLY (Windows 8.1 consisted of 5 download packages) from the Microsoft Download Center. To make matters worse, I had to install them in a specific order because that's what the install instructions said.


These KB's must be installed in the following order: KB2919442, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018.





I had to download all these .msu installers -___-;;



Anyways, after successfully installing ALL the updates in a goddamn specific order, I rebooted and logged in to my account.

There it was, the Start screen and those freakin' live tiles that I've come to love throughout the months. I didn't see much changes in the live tiles and...



HOLY COW! WHY THE HELL IS THE TASKBAR IN THE START SCREEN?!?!?!?!

OMFG ROFL GTFO SOS WTF GTG JGH SLR TXT COM LOL DOS WIN PNG JPG MP4 MP3 AVI MOV





Changes

I didn't see a lot of "new features" in the update; however, I did see a lot of changes and a few "new features" although some of them weren't "game-changing."

So, here are all the changes that I've found after installing the update:



1. If you scroll down your mouse to the bottom of the screen, you'll see the taskbar and some of the Windows Store apps that's currently open.




2. You can close and minimize the app you're currently in to exit (well, suspend) the app or just minimize the app.

At first, I thought the close button would close the app completely, not suspend it. It's still taking up precious RAM in my laptop :|


3.The new "Disk Space" feature in the PC settings app.



4. Goodbye, SkyDrive. Hello OneDrive!





Unfortunately, "OneDrive" Sync Engine Host is still named SkyDrive.exe.
It's hard to rename a system file, especially when you've already associated that filename with a bunch of programs and apps.

The last remnant of SkyDrive in Windows.


5. Right-click menu in Network settings.



6. Show more apps in Apps view.



7. Manual syncing in the OneDrive context menu.



8. The "ugly" context menu in the Start screen.

Why the fuck are some letters underlined in the context menu? :/


9. Windows Store apps in the taskbar.


10. Shutdown and Search buttons on the Start screen.


11. Live preview of Windows Store apps in the taskbar.
Pay no attention to the music video I'm currently watching (:





Wrapping Up
Overall, Windows 8.1 Update 1 was AWESOME and I suggest you to install it if you haven't installed it yet. If you're still running Windows 8 (or Windows XP) at this moment, you're missing out on all the cool updates and features. If you're running Windows 8 on a retail license, I highly recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 and installing all the updates; however, if you're running Windows 8 on a VOLUME license, you can still download a Windows 8.1 ISO (preferably one ISO with Update 1 installed) and install it on your device.

The update really improved my Windows 8.1 experience. My laptop boots and logs in faster despite all of the startup programs and services. My mouse and app navigation feels smoother and better than ever.


I didn't notice a lot of significant UI changes, just minor tweaks and such. I'm still waiting for the ability to play a video on a live tile though and I'm still waiting for that "flip" animation they have on my Windows Phone. Also, it'd be better if Cortana would be able to make a debut in the OS along with several other improvements from Windows Phone 8.1 like the notification center, Cortana, new settings, custom Start screen backgrounds and stuff like that.

Dang, I really wish Microsoft could have added some features from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 8.1 :/
Oh well, maybe all of this will just come in a future update; maybe Windows 9, I guess.



Anyways, the update was awesome and it made Windows 8.1 a thousand times better.

The update process was grueling and difficult. In the end, it was all worth it :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiffany's Xanga

Jessica Jung + Tiffany Hwang

My First Week of College