A Trust Exercise

Ah, it really is fun meeting new people and being friends with them, don't you think so?

Sure, it can be fun meeting new faces and people who don't know you every once in a while, but I sometimes ask myself, "Can I trust these people? Can I expect them to keep my secrets and be really trustworthy friends?" Today, I learned the answer to that question, and the answer is quite depressing.

I ran a trust exercise 2 or 3 years ago, I told my 2 best friends at the time that I had a crush on my big sister, Elaine. Of course, they thought that the secret was real when, in fact, IT WAS A LIE. I never had a crush on Elaine, ever. Elaine was really more like a big sister to me rather than a romantic interest. But anyway, let's get back to the point.

I wanted to test out my 2 best friends if they can really be best friends I can trust. And, the answer to that is NO. Within days or weeks, Elaine found out the so-called secret as the word got around. Even Elaine's boyfriend got mad at me. But then, I explained to him what my purpose really was and why I said that.


Trust IS A POWERFUL THING. It can make or break friendships. And, in that case, OUR FRIENDSHIP WAS BROKEN. I only told 2 persons, two persons, that secret and yet it still got around. So, I realized that both of my friends weren't trustworthy and I decided to slowly move away from them. What's the use of having a best friend who immediately tells your secrets to everyone? There's no use.

Sadly, I found out something very saddening today. Last week, I told a group of guys—who I thought I could trust—a similar secret. The word got around and it has reached the girl. Please take note that I only told three persons about this and yet, the same has happened again, the word got around.


That's depressing, so 3 of my blockmates (or classmates, whichever floats your boat) can't be trust. Oh well, back to the drawing board.



Here's an extremely simplified version:
1. Tell a lie to your close friends and ask them to keep it a secret.
2. Wait for a while.
3. Answer this question: Has the secret gone out to everyone? If yes, then that person is not trustworthy. If no, then that person is a trustworthy individual who can keep a single secret.


P.S.
I know people are different and it may or may not be concrete proof if a person is trustworthy or not. It depends on you if you want to do it, but I prefer to do it because it's super simple to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Tiffany's Xanga

Jessica Jung + Tiffany Hwang

My First Week of College